The Historic Town of Providence

Today is Veterans Day!
A celebration to honor America's veterans for their patriotism, love of country, and willingness to serve and sacrifice for the common good. 
With my passion for history comes my interest in the Civil War and the brave veterans of that era.
Having knowledge of this I wanted to introduce my readers to our town.

Providence is my town. After dwelling here for over 20 years, I have studied the historic value of this town and it part in the War.  I feel I've enjoyed it's value more than the average person who was born here.


                                  The Rhode Island State House is at 82 Smith St, Providence
                                                                   401-222-3983


    Two famous Civil War cannon, both served by Rhode Island crews, are on exhibit in the lobby to the north entrance of the State House. “The Gettysburg Gun” is an exceptional artifact with a great story.
It was there at Pickett’s Charge July 3, 1863. A Confederate shell hit the muzzle, bending it and killing two officers. Despite the damage, the Rhode Island men tried to load the gun, but the ball stuck in the muzzle and was welded there by the heat. That damaged cannon is on exhibit with the ball still in place and with 33 bullet marks.

Another Rhode Island gun used at First Manassas (Bull Run) also is displayed in the hall with regimental flags.



I have been to see this amazing exhibit several times and still feel the power and living history in our Historic Town.
Self-guided tours  are on Mondays–Fridays from 9 am–3 pm. 
Guided tours are offered Mondays–Fridays at 9, 10 and 11 am, noon and 1 pm.
You will enjoy the tour and the beauty of this building.

No comments:

September Tea Travel

 I am happy to say my tea time travels are on it's way. I have decided to visit as many tea shops and salons as I can. Will be looking t...