18th Century Bannock

   

I needed to find something to cook and display as my demonstration of hearth cooking  at the Hearthside House

 So, after much research, I came up with Bannock. Back in the 14th to 18th centuries it was a simple mix of oats, sometimes barley, water and salt. Very often just oats and water and salt if they had any.

  Bannocks were cooked in the ashes of a camp fire or on a rock over an open  fire. 
It is easy to produce and made a good hearty food for the men on the trails ..

It seems fairly easy, so I tried my hand at making  Bannock in my kitchen.  Because we are not able to light a fire in the hearth at the Hearthside House, I had to cook it at home and bring it in to display on a girdle in the hearth. .

 Here is the easy recipe.


About a cupped handful of oats,  the same of barley flour. I'd say a quarter of a cup, which is enough for one small Bannock.  Salt to taste, if you wish.


Mix the ingredients together and then add enough water to make a stiff paste.



Shape the bannock dough and place in a pan. I  used a little lard when using my iron pan.


Don't make your fire up too hot, you want the Bannock to cook right through not just burn on the outside.


Turn occasionally to check how it is cooking. Once it is toasted or browned on both sides and a test with a knife confirms it is cooked inside, then it is ready to remove from the pan.

Due to health and safety regulations, we are not allowed to let the public try any of what we make, so the docents and staff will get to try them out. 

If you should ever try this, let me know how they turn out.
   
Miss Estelle, Hearthside House cook




No comments:

September Tea Travel

 I am happy to say my tea time travels are on it's way. I have decided to visit as many tea shops and salons as I can. Will be looking t...