The Old Moffett Mill

I just love this old Mill. It's called the Moffett Mill.

Built by George Olney along Great Road in 1812, the Moffett Mill is a unique survivor from the early 19th century. Resting along the Moshassuck River next to Chase Farm Park, this small mill is believed to be the first machine shop constructed in Rhode Island and is a rare example of a wooden mill built during the first wave of industrialization in the Blackstone Valley. Wagons, wheels, and shoelaces are just some of the products that were produced here.
Arnold Moffett purchased the mill in 1850 and built the stone dam that still stands. The mill has been abandoned since the early part of the 1900s and was donated to the Town of Lincoln in the 1980s. It has recently been renovated and its original tools still in tact.
This old mill now serves as a tourist attraction.Not many go to see it, but I love to see it every time I am on my way to the Hearthside House.

2 comments:

Historical Ken said...

Beautiful!
I would love to see some inside pictures!

ladyestelle said...

I am sorry to say, but they are not open much. I have not had the pleasure of seeing the inside yet.We at Hearthside are tiring to get it open to the public more. It's going to be a challenge.

September Tea Travel

 I am happy to say my tea time travels are on it's way. I have decided to visit as many tea shops and salons as I can. Will be looking t...