This Old Home


This is the house that I had mention in my previous post. The home of Edward Mitchell Bannister.  Today I went to take a closer look at this amazing house. 

It is so sad to see a historic home just sit with on life, abounded, lost memories and forgotten. It is my duty as a living history re-enactor to bring life back to this house and preserve the memory of times gone by. 

As I did a little research, I found that the house belongs to Brown University. I was shocked that they have let it go by the way side. 

I have an interest to see this home restored for the preservation of my African American heritage.  We must keep history alive for our youth. They need to know of this great man and how people lived in the 1800's in New England. Seeing the house like this tells the story of Rhode Island. Let's make it a positive one. I want to show them how Edward Mitchell Bannister achieved his dream even back in the 1800's.

I must  bring this home back to life.

3 comments:

Historical Ken said...

Hear! Hear!

rosekraft said...

So happy to have stumbled upon your wonderful blog and another Victorian enthusiast!
Best Regards,
Rose

Unknown said...

Hello from Lancaster PA, I saw you had also found the Edward Mitchell Bannister house, great that it is owned by Brown but sad its condition. did you inquire to the college whether they intend to renovate it? I own an EMB painting and am a fan. My daughter is applying to Brown so I have my fingers crossed.

Mark

September Tea Travel

 I am happy to say my tea time travels are on it's way. I have decided to visit as many tea shops and salons as I can. Will be looking t...