Derby Day Afternoon Tea at Hearthside

Presented by the 'Friends of Hearthside"
Saturday, May 7th, 2011
Because  the event falls on the same day as the Kentucky Derby, it offers the perfect opportunity to look at the fashion statments made by the ladies who attend the Durby, in particular the hats.
The first Kentucky Durby was held in 1875 at Churchill Drowns in Louisville , Ky., and is the country's oldest consecutively held thoroughbred race and the most prestigious horse race in the world.
The fashions have created nearly as much interest as the racing event itself.
So, my featured presentation on "Hat Through the Ages" was quit timely. I shared my knowledge on how woman's hat have changed drastically throughout history along with an exhibit of some of my private collection of hats spanning from early 19th century up to the 1950's.
The gust were invited to wear their favorite hat and prizes was given for the "Most Historic Looking,' "Most Likely To Be Seen at the Derby" and "Most Unusual" hats.

It was a delightful afternoon. I can say I enjoyed it as much as my guests.
I hope all my dear lady friends had a "Gracious Mother's Day."

3 comments:

Mary said...

That yellow looks so nice on you.

Antiques And Teacups said...

Fabulous! Your outfit is lovely and the hat display wonderful! What fun having so many fun things to celebrate at once!
Ruth

Lady Kara said...

Lady Estelle,

I have to agree with Mary on that one. You look regal and elegant. It sounds like a wonderful day. What a collection of hats!

God bless,

Lady Kara

September Tea Travel

 I am happy to say my tea time travels are on it's way. I have decided to visit as many tea shops and salons as I can. Will be looking t...