My study of Elizabeth Hobbs Keckley



As an enslaved young woman, Keckley was moved to the rough frontier city of St. Louis, where she began working as a dress designer. She eventually was able to buy her freedom and went to Washington, D.C., where she established herself as dress maker to some of the wives and daughters of high-level politicians and officers. Before long, she was supplying not only beautiful clothing but also a sympathetic ear to Mary Todd Lincoln.

Keckley's descriptions of the Lincolns at home reveal touching, unguarded moments of laughter, discussion, and affection. She witnessed the grief of both parents at the death of their son Willie.

I will be doing more research of Keckley's relation with Abraham and Mary Todd Lincoln.I feel this will be a perfect persona for me.




Elizabeth Keckly
Elizabeth Keckly (often spelled Keckley) was born into slavery in Dinwiddie County, Virginia. An accomplished dressmaker, she earned enough money to buy her freedom and her son’s. In 1861 Keckly was living in Washington, D.C., when she was introduced to Mary Lincoln.




Keckly became Mary’s principal dressmaker, a trusted confidant, and an intimate friend. It was a close, complicated, unequal relationship—the women were drawn together by genuine affection and divided by class and race.
http://americanhistory.si.edu/exhibitions/small_exhibition.cfm?key=1267&exkey=696&pagekey=711

4 comments:

Jan Hennings said...

Absolutely gorgeous photo's and a beautiful blog!

ladyestelle said...

Thank you Jan for stopping by!

The Ebon Swan said...

Hello there!

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog a few days ago. I'm so sorry for not responding sooner, but I just started at a new position at the museum I work with, so things are more than a little hectic.

I wanted to tell you that if you would like to get a better look at Mary Lincoln's dress there *is* a virtual exhibit on the Smithsonian's website that may give you some more information:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/exhibitions/exhibition.cfm?key=38&exkey=1210

I had meant to post that in my blog back when I had first made that post, but I got sidetracked and it never happened. I'm so glad to hear that someone is tackling the persona of Elizabeth Keckley! I think she would be an absolutely fascinating woman to learn about. Please let me know if I can be of any more help!

Melissa

ladyestelle said...

Thank you so mush Melissa,
You have been most helpful. The link was timely.

September Tea Travel

 I am happy to say my tea time travels are on it's way. I have decided to visit as many tea shops and salons as I can. Will be looking t...