History of cooking by African Americans

I attended a wonderful historic exhibit at the Culinary Arts Museum in Providence.

The exhibition tells the story of African American cookery in my state of Rhode Island from the 1700s to the present day. I was so impressed.




There were many  artifacts, memorabilia, photographs and testimonials that gave life to how African Americans cooked and served food as slaves,.as newly freed men and women and who became successful entrepreneurs in the culinary trades                                                                                                                        










Arriving in the ports of Newport and Providence, slaves learned to cook with the leftovers or scraps of their owners’ kitchens. By the 1850s, when slavery was abolished in Rhode Island, they used their skills as cooks and servants to earn a livelihood.



These are the stories that are not told in the history books. I was like a child trying to adsorb all this knowledge in one scoop. I was not able to fully read all the information that this exhibit had to ofter. I will need a return visit.

I meet an inspiring woman by the name of that  thought by the way I was dressed that I was part of the exhibit. I assured her I was not. I  informed her that I was a living history reenactor, but tonight I was just a student of history. She was very helpful in how I could get more information by getting involved with the Rhode Island Historical Society and The Rhode Island Black Heritage Society.
We talk for quite some time and I am sure she will be instrumental to my historic growth.

2 comments:

Historical Ken said...

Too many stories are not told in our history books. By by our blogs we can at least get them out there!
Wonderful post!

Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Hi Lady Estelle-

I would also love to learn from this exhibit. It sounds fascinating! It's always interesting to find out how everyday folk lived in the past, and I'm glad there are people who dig around and find this kind of history for us. Isn't it amusing when people stop to comment on your exquisite dresses from another era? :-)

-Pam

September Tea Travel

 I am happy to say my tea time travels are on it's way. I have decided to visit as many tea shops and salons as I can. Will be looking t...