My First Display Piece!


I have been given what we think is a late Victorian or early Edwardian dress. Not museum quality. But still quite interesting and I will be using it as a display piece for my new program.
It's made of linen and a mesh like material. It was given to me by a dear friend, Jen Cook
It is now on display in my parlor.
Can anyone help me on identifying this piece?.






  I'm thinking it is late 1870s natural form. There was probably an overskirt at one time
The dress form's chest is a bit larger so, I give it a lace collar to cover the opening, somewhat.


The bodice is quite low on the hip so I'm still inclined to think natural form. The beginning of natural form 1876 perhaps


   Accommodation for a small bustle.


 I would say 1876-1878. The militaristic aspect is very 1870's, but they had more of a diamond in the back and a much larger bustle. The more form fitted top is leaning to 1880. So, late 1870's is my guess.

Here is a good example of a similar dress.

Dress Date: 1878 Culture: American Medium: Silk Accession Number: 2009.300.6511a–c

No comments:

September Tea Travel

 I am happy to say my tea time travels are on it's way. I have decided to visit as many tea shops and salons as I can. Will be looking t...