Living In A Time Warp

I am really pleased with this report,  I wanted to share it with you, if you have not already seen it.


Living In A Time Warp
By Henry Hanks, CNN
February 5, 2010 2:38pm EST

This story started on CNN ireport

(CNN)-Social networking may be one of the biggest phenomenons of the 21st century, but for some denizens of the Web, it's a way to get in touch with the past.

Web sites like living historyworldwide.com (with a membership of more than 5,700) and groups on Facebook allow people who enjoy past eras to connect with each other. But it goes beyond that: Some of them dress and live like they would decades, if not centuries, ago.

Step into Estelle Barada's living room in Providence, Rhode Island, and you might feel like you've traveled back to the 1890s.

Barada, a hotel caterer, sees it as an escape from her stressful job.

"I was the middle child and kind of like the dreamer, and for some strange reason I always dreamed of living not in America, but England," she explained. "I imagined having tea with the queen and touring the castle and that was my dream as a little girl."

Today, "Lady Estelle," as she likes to be called, lives out that dream by hosting tea parties for her friends while dressed in Victorian clothing, completely in character.


When going out, she's dressed in a more understated fashion, but still completely consistent with the late 1800s, with a long skirt and hat. "I always wear hats and when I go shopping, I get the attention of the older women, who say, I love the way you look," she said.

Now, those with casual interest as well as those who live their lives in a past era, what Johnson calls "timewarpians," interact on her site, Timewarpliving.com, which boasts more than 250 members. "When people come to this site, they see that they're not alone," she said.
Johnson considers "Lady Estelle" Barada to be a great example of a "timewarpian." Barada hopes to pass on the manners, if not necessarily the fashion, of the era to the next generation by hosting parties with young girls and teaching them about etiquette.
As for her own granddaughters, she said they love paying a visit. "They ask their mother if they can wear a pretty dress and go to grandmother's house."
Read more...


iReport: Fashions of a modern-day Victorian




2 comments:

Mia said...

Dear Lady Estelle,
How exciting! I'm so glad you were featured on this, your life truly is special :) I'm so grateful to know you as an online friend, you're an inspiration!


Mia

ladyestelle said...

My dearest Mia, I am so glad you got a chance to stop by the site.
You have been my inspiration from the beginning,young lady.
I admire your good, clean and wholesome living. I never meet anyone so young with the knowledge you have. I honor your Mother and Father. Thank for for sharing your life with me.
Lady Estelle

September Tea Travel

 I am happy to say my tea time travels are on it's way. I have decided to visit as many tea shops and salons as I can. Will be looking t...