Testing my sewing skills

Yesterday we were sent home from work early because of a snow storm that was about to hit New England.


Well, I had not time to get material yet for my 1870's underskirt and was so anxious to get started, that I took a old set of living drapes out of the linen closet. I said "if Scarlet O'Hara could do it so can I". So, I spent the cold and snowy afternoon practicing my sewing skills. I am amazed at myself.
I designed this Victorian evening skirt without a pattern.




It took one window panel, costing $11.00 and some old top valances for trim. Not bad for someone who have not sown in over 10 years. I have not lost my sowing skills.
I gave the skirt a hook and eye closure in the waist belt.



And to give it a really elegant evening look I gave it a long pleated train.




That was a lot of fun. I can,t wait to get started on a real sewing adventure.
I am planning to shop today for that prefect material to use my Truly Victorian Patterns.

4 comments:

D. Leigh said...

Perfect, Estelle!! Actually, drapery fabric is what I generally use when making my reproduction gowns as that is the general weight of what was used in the womens gowns.

You are doing an awesome job!!! Keep at it!

ladyestelle said...

I am very excited. I was just playing around and testing to see if the old sewing machine and I still had it. Now it time to get serious!

KateAnn said...

Good afternoon, Lady Estelle. I found your website after reading the CNN report and have enjoyed reading it ever since. Thank you so much for sharing your life; it is a most enjoyable read. KateAann

ladyestelle said...

Thank you KateAnn for your comment.
I enjoy sharing a little of myself with others. It gives me comfort to know that people like my lifestyle.

September Tea Travel

 I am happy to say my tea time travels are on it's way. I have decided to visit as many tea shops and salons as I can. Will be looking t...