A Hot day in July!

I love the summer, but today I am having a hard time. I do not own an air conditioner, just large ceiling fans. Today, the temperature is in the high 90's again. It is a good day for the beach, but I am not a beach kind of girl. I much like the lake, with waterfalls and  lots of trees for shade.
But here is New England, my favorite beach is Ockland Beach.
Oakland Beach is a neighborhood located in the South Central area of Warwick, Rhode Island, on Greenwich Bay, a tributary of Narragansett Bay. This densely populated community of small cottages was developed after World War I as a summer colony, largely for nearby Providence's middle-class Irish and Italian communities. Oakland Beach reached its heyday in the 1930s when it boasted a bathing beach, boat docks and restaurants, as well as a Ferris wheel, and rail service to Providence and other nearby summer colonies.
The New England Hurricane of 1938, however, destroyed much of Oakland Beach. The area never quite recovered, and Hurricane Carol in 1954 sent the neighborhood into further decline. By the late 1960s and into the 1970s the area had fallen into decline and became notorious for street fights, drug dealing, and house breaks. Today, Oakland Beach shows many signs of revitalization as several upscale homes have been built near the shore & others have been updated. In the summer, people flock to Oakland Beach's shore and seafood restaurants. The most notable being Iggy's, where patrons enjoy doughboys and other local favorites. A popular local moniker, offered always in a spirit of love and affection, and long available on t-shirts, is "Oakland Beach...where the debris meets the sea"

No comments:

September Tea Travel

 I am happy to say my tea time travels are on it's way. I have decided to visit as many tea shops and salons as I can. Will be looking t...