Robert Burns Dinner!

Tonight my good friends are attending a Robert Burns Dinner. I am not able to attend tonight, but remember it from last year. For those who have not had the pleasure of attending one, it is most enjoyable and a historic event.  
 The Burns Suppers have been part of Scottish culture for about 200 years as a means of commemorating our best loved bard. And when Burns immortalized haggis in verse he created a central link that is maintained to this day.


http://www.rabbie-burns.com/the_supper/index.cfm.html 

"In order to enjoy this video, turn of my music at the end of the page".

Who was Robert Burns?

Born in Alloway, Ayrshire, in 1759 to William Burness, a poor tenant farmer, and Agnes Broun, Robert Burns was the eldest of seven. He spent his youth working his father's farm, but in spite of his poverty he was extremely well read - at the insistence of his father, who employed a tutor for Robert and younger brother Gilbert. At 15 Robert was the principal worker on the farm and this prompted him to start writing in an attempt to find "some kind of counterpoise for his circumstances." It was at this tender age that Burns penned his first verse, "My Handsome Nell", which was an ode to the other subjects that dominated his life, namely scotch and women.  

http://www.rabbie-burns.com/the_man/index.cfm.html




"In order to enjoy this video, turn of my music at the end of the page".
 

 

4 comments:

Laura said...

Hello,
I just happened on your blog and I love it! It's always wonderful to meet another Victorian Era tea lover.
A wonderful week to you,
Laura

ladyestelle said...

Well thank you for stopping by Laura.
Yes,It is always delightful to meet another kindred spirit.
Good tidings dear friend.
Lady Estelle

Unknown said...

My parents' church hosted a Robbie Burns dinner every year. I'll have to see if I can find one here in Rhode Island.

Thanks very much for stopping by to comment on our blog. We really enjoyed Hearthside and are sure to go back for more visits in the future.

~boliyou and The Bear

ladyestelle said...

Greeting Boliyou,
I am pleased that you stopped by a visited my blog. I really enjoy your blog and have visited it often. I enjoy the photos of our lovely state. You have capture the best side of it. I love Rhode Island.
I will be looking forward to meeting you at Hearthside.
Lady Estelle

September Tea Travel

 I am happy to say my tea time travels are on it's way. I have decided to visit as many tea shops and salons as I can. Will be looking t...